Sunday, November 5, 2017

What I Learned from being the Mascot



Offhandedly I was offered the chance to be the school mascot at one of our home football games and I jumped at the chance!   So, lets just get the bad over with first, yes some people were rude. I thought I was going to have to call administration on one of the adults because they would not let go of my tail.   A junior high student asked me if I was a lesbian and another student asked if I had a penis or a vagina and it was hot.  The temperature at game time was high for this area and the costume was hot but ......... 
OMG, I had so much fun!  The high school kids had no clue who was in the costume they just knew it was not the normal girl and it drove them crazy.  I did not talk and for me to not talk from 6:30 - 9 is an amazing feat of its own.  I got to dance with the band and high 5 the colorguard!  I cheered with the student section and high fived the parents.  I stood out on the field to welcome the team in.  The little kids were amazing!  There were several students that got hugs a dozen or more times.  There were little kids that were scared of me until I went in the corner to "hide" and then they decided I was harmless.  I had bunches of pictures taken with kids of all ages.  I even got to hold a whole bunch of babies.  

So lesson learned, no matter what the age, take time to laugh and have fun.  Also there are a lot of people out there, big and little, that are in need of a hug.  Even if that hug comes from a sweaty person in a tiger costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment